Vacancy: TOMs Academy Learning Programme Co-ordinator
Pay rate: Negotiable, dependent upon experience
Hours per week: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Location: Currently home working, then flexible with one of the Social Value Portal offices as the base (London or Manchester).
Open to: Only applicants with the right to work in the UK can be considered. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to sex, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, criminal history or disability status.
To apply: Please send a covering letter of no more than one side of A4 and your CV to email@example.com.
Application deadline: 17/09/21
Please note applications will be reviewed as they are received and follow-up may begin prior to the deadline, so we recommend early application.
About the Social Value Portal
The Social Value Portal is a rapidly growing UK-based company supporting organisations to deliver social value through a Software as a Service (SaaS) portfolio of solutions. Social value is about delivering economic, social and environmental sustainability to help create flourishing communities and places. The Social Value Portal has a suite of user-friendly, online collaboration tools that enable its clients in the public, private and community and voluntary sectors to work together to deliver social value.
We work with public and private sector clients and employ over 60 people. Our mission is to help our clients measure and report on their social value, taking an evidence-based approach and based on a framework that we have developed called the TOMs (which stands for Themes, Outcomes and Measures).
There are three essential components to our business, which are underpinned by the National Social Value Measurement Framework, otherwise known as the National TOMs:
- Managing, monitoring and reporting social value using the online Portal;
- Research & development of methodologies and products to support the Portal;
- Consultancy and advisory work with clients to assist in the development of social value strategies and approaches
The National TOMs have become the standard methodology for measuring and reporting on social value across the UK and we find that as the use of the framework becomes more widespread there is an increasing demand for training, learning and skills support to help people understand and implement the TOMs. We have decided to create a new area of the business focused on meeting this demand and consolidating the increasing body of knowledge that we hold about the TOMs and social value more generally, called the National TOMs Academy.
The National TOMs Academy project is now moving from the scoping to the implementation phase, and we are looking for an individual with strong project management skills to coordinate all aspects of the development programme, supported by other parts of the business and external consultants in terms of content management, design and technical support. This is a full-time, fixed term role initially for 10 months, with potential to become a permanent programme management role, albeit potentially with wider responsibilities once the National TOMs Academy is fully functional. You will be reporting directly to a member of the Senior Leadership Team and part of our TOMs, Development and Innovation (TDI) team, which is responsible for the development and upkeep of the TOMs. You will also be working with our Customer Success and Customer Support, Consultancy and Marketing teams.
We are flexible about the working location for the role. Consistent with current COVID guidance, it is likely that this role will have a significant home-based component for the foreseeable future. However, we hope that some teamwork based in our offices will take place over the coming months, so our preference would be for the individual to have the ability to make periodic visits to one of our two main offices (London or Manchester). We also have serviced accommodation in Cardiff and Edinburgh available for occasional use.
The National TOMs
The National TOMs is the freely available open-source version of the TOMs Framework. It provides a consistent and transparent reporting standard for measuring social value. It is highly flexible and adaptable and as result is used in a wide variety of contexts and by people with varying levels of experience and expertise. For those organisations (private and public) just starting out on their journey to embed social value into their procurement and management processes, it provides an easy-to-use solution that is immediately available, and may be applied to any project. For those organisations that are already well advanced, the TOMs works to crystallise social value activities into specific measurable outcomes that can be benchmarked both within and outside an organisation.
Earlier this year we published two guidance documents that provide to support for occasional or relatively inexperienced users of the TOMs as well as technical detail for the more advanced user. We also have an extensive library of guidance documents and other learning and development tool that are made available to people within the business to support their work with customers.
For more information on the TOMs, click here.
The National TOMs Academy
The Social Value Portal is currently creating its new learning platform, the National TOMs Academy. The aim of the Academy is to set and improve standards of social value measurement and reporting, by upskilling users of the TOMs and social value practitioners in general, using online learning tools developed as part of the National TOMs Academy programme.
The Academy is aimed at Public, Private and Third Sector organisations that wish to learn how to use the TOMs to capture their social value contribution to society. The Academy will be based on certification levels, from a beginner / entry-level to a more advanced practitioner level and will comprise a series of online modules made available through a learning management system (LMS).
The National TOMs Academy will be accessible both to customers and non-customers. Part of its job will be to systematise and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the training that the Social Value Advisers in our Customer Success team currently provide to our customers; but it will also be aiming to provide standalone training to non-customers (who may become customers as a result) as well as to consultants and advisers who need training to apply best practice in the work they do with their customers.
About the role
We are looking for someone who will coordinate and manage the delivery of the programme both during development and once the TOMs Academy is fully operational. This will include responsibility for delivery of the learning management system (LMS) platform and the learning modules, which are currently under development.
As indicated above, we have already started the project, with the support of external consultants. The most important skill for this role is a demonstrable ability to coordinate and manage a programme of activities to ensure deadlines are met, working with a number of contributors and stakeholders. Ideally this experience should be in an online learning / e-learning environment or a related area. Applicants should have a strong interest in how technology can support learning, although no specific IT training or qualification is required
The ability to understand the context for the TOMs and social value is also important, but prior experience is not necessary.
You will be joining the leading UK social value measurement company, on an initial 10-month contract (with potential to extend), in an exciting role working directly with, and supporting senior managers in the business. For the right candidate, there is potential to extend the contract, increase and broaden the responsibilities of the role and build knowledge, skills and experience.
You will have excellent communication skills and be very well-organised, with the ability to work on your own initiative and the capability and confidence to contribute ideas for process and procedural improvements. You may have a specific project management qualification and if not, see project and programme management as your chosen career path.
Equally important are a positive and energetic attitude with a strong desire to learn, the ability to engage with and if necessary direct a wide range of stakeholders and the motivation to drive the programme forward. You will have exceptional verbal and written skills and the ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team. You will need the ability to influence at all levels. A high degree of competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required as a minimum, and preference will be given to candidates with proven experience working with e-learning technologies, knowledge file management, transcription, and other administrative procedures.
The ability to work to tight deadlines is essential. The detailed content of the role will evolve as the programme develops, but candidates should expect the following:
- Module development coordination and review
- Curate relevant resources to support e-learning development (video, case study, etc.) within SVP, building on existing work through Zendesk and support from our consultants
- Support the development of e-learning modules based on subject matter from internal experts
- Proofread content and ensure high quality of images/animations/media within learning outputs.
- Work with content providers to convert notes into suitable scripts for narration
- Organise content for modules, including filming, scripting, voice-over recordings, animations, etc.
- Manage input from relevant stakeholders, including e-learning developer, internal subject experts, peer reviewers including gathering content and feedback
- Platform management/Platform customer service
- Work with team to help develop specifications for the Learning Management System (LMS)
- Maintain content on the LMS
- Coordinate customer service for the TOMs Academy, including e-mails/ responding to clients and potential clients of the Academy
- Maintain user accounts, identify unused and duplicate learner accounts and respond to customer queries
- National TOMs Academy marketing and communication support
- Coordinate any training schedules and newsletter content related to the Academy
- Assist in the facilitation of workshops and training for the LMS
- Work closely with the Head of Marketing to create marketing content to support the promotion of the TOMs Academy
- Project management
- Maintain and monitor project plans, project schedules,
- Organise, attend, participate in, and take notes for stakeholder meetings, including tracking important actions and decisions
- Prepare necessary presentation materials for meetings
- Ensure project deadlines are met
- Determine and communicate project changes regularly
- Provide administrative support as needed
Required Skills/ Experience
- High level of project coordination skills
- High-level competency in Microsoft 365 including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, and in digital technologies more broadly
- Excellent writing /literacy skills with a good sense for telling a story and writing creatively
- Motivated, proactive and able to work independently
- Robust attention to detail and superb organisation and project management skills
- Driven to meet tight deadlines
- Tech savvy
- Communication skills
- Confident to work in a fast-paced environment and assertive communicating at all levels
Desirable Skills/ Experience
- Keen interest in digital learning platforms and training
- An interest in making a difference, sustainability and social value
- Bachelor’s degree or qualification in a relevant field, or relevant experience
- Experience of working with an LMS, e-learning developers
- Experience in copy-editing/scriptwriting
If you are interested in the role, send your CV plus a covering note explaining why you are interested and why you think you are suitable for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.