Vacancy: SENIOR SOCIAL VALUE CONSULTANT – INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT
Job title: Senior Social Value Consultant
Pay rate: Salary dependent upon experience. Plus commission
Hours per week: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Location: Currently the team are all working from home due to Covid-19. Normally based at Social Value Portal Office, Tintagel House, 92 Albert Embankment, London. Your job will include travel to meet customers around the UK and, very occasionally, some evening work
Reports to: Head of Consultancy
Open to: All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to sex, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, criminal history or disability status. Only applicants with the right to work in the UK can be considered
Social Value Portal (SVP) works with private and public sector organisations across the UK to support them to measure, manage and report their social value. Social value is about delivering economic, social and environmental sustainability for communities and society as a whole and one of the sectors we have a big focus on is real estate. There are many ways that organisations in the real estate sector can generate social value and one of them is through the investment in and management of assets, for example offices, shopping centres or industrial parks. Measuring and reporting on the social value of real assets is a growing area at SVP and we are looking for someone to lead on further developing our approach and managing key client relationships in this space.
Investors are demanding that more focus is placed on purpose, not just profit. Measuring the social value generated by an asset is a way of putting a targeted and needs-based action plan in place to deliver better outcomes, and more value, in the future. To do this we work with investors, owners, managing agents, property teams, suppliers and occupiers. Clients include Legal & General, UBS, Argent and Savills.
You will be responsible for driving forward this workstream at SVP. This will include identifying gaps in our service and developing new approaches, evolving the content of our fund and asset social value reports, building expertise internally within SVP, liaising directly with clients to understand their specific needs and priorities, and supporting the business development plan for this sector. You will work closely with our Senior Social Value Advisor for Investment Management who sits in the account management team (currently being recruited).
Required Skills / Experience
- 5-7 years’ relevant work experience i.e. asset management, investment management, impact investing, ESG
- A deep understanding of the real estate industry and asset management specifically
- An enthusiasm for understanding clients’ needs and identifying solutions
- Examples of having developed strong client relationships
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written, with confidence to deliver presentations and workshops but also write comprehensive reports
Desirable Skills / Experience
- Examples of having engaged directly with investors
- Experience of converting prospects into clients
- Experience of GRESB or other sustainability reporting requirements within the sector
- Knowledge of the TOMs framework and/or other social value measurement frameworks
- Understanding of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals
About the Social Value Portal
SVP works with clients in the public, private, community and voluntary sectors to identify where they are, or could, deliver social value and then to measure and report it effectively. There are three essential components to our business:
- An online platform – the Portal – used for managing, monitoring and reporting social value;
- Research and development of methodologies and products, including the ongoing; management of the National Social Value Measurement Framework (the National TOMs)
- Consultancy and advisory work with clients to assist in the development of social value strategies and approaches
Social value is a rapidly developing agenda for addressing societal challenges using an integrated triple bottom line (economic / social / environment) approach. We are at the leading edge of developing social value methodologies and approaches to measuring and reporting social value, and our growing client base reflects how seriously organisations in all sectors are taking this.
Finally, along with Social Value UK we run the annual conference. In January 2020, the National Social Value Conference – Time to Act – saw over 700 professionals from across the public, private and third sectors come together in London to share their knowledge on social value in the UK and learn what must be done in the coming years to further promote innovation and deliver more for our communities.