Vacancy: Researcher – Social Value and Social Impact
We are looking for a researcher or junior researcher with knowledge of quantitative and qualitative models for measurement and valuation of market and non-market goods, to support the development and delivery of existing and new solutions for social value measurement, monetisation, and analysis.
Location: We are flexible about the working location for the role. Consistent with current COVID guidance, it is likely that this role will have a significant home-based component for the foreseeable future. However, we hope that some teamwork-based in our offices will take place over the coming months, so our preference would be for the individual to have the ability to make periodic visits to one of our two main offices (London or Manchester). We also have serviced offices in Cardiff and Edinburgh available for occasional use.
Working Hours: 40 per week – Full time
Salary: Competitive, dependent upon experience
Reports to: Head of Data and Analytics
Open to: All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to nationality, sex, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, criminal history or disability status and we strongly encourage application from candidates who foster and promote the values of diversity and inclusion. Only applicants with the right to work in the UK can be considered.
To apply: Please send a covering letter of no more than one side of A4 and your CV to email@example.com.
Please note applications will be reviewed as they are received and follow-up may begin prior to the deadline, so we recommend early application.
About the Social Value Portal
The Social Value Portal is the UK’s leading solution for embedding the delivery, measurement, and management of social value into procurement processes and business activities of organisations. We are a fast-growing enterprise with public and private sector clients across the UK.
Social value is a rapidly developing agenda for addressing societal challenges using an integrated triple bottom line (economic/social / environment) approach. We are at the leading edge of developing social value methodologies and approaches to measuring and reporting social value, and our rapidly expanding client-base across a broad range of sectors, including central & local government, health, real estate and development, engineering & construction, nuclear and financial services, and the third sector, reflects the increasing awareness of organisations in all industries and sizes of their contribution to sustainable economic growth and a prosperous and inclusive society.
Our mission is to provide an evidence-based approach to measuring and delivering social value with four essential components to our business:
- Ongoing development of the Themes, Outcomes and Measurement (TOMs) Framework to measure and monetise social value and the National TOMs Reporting Standard
- Support the delivery of our online platform – the Portal – used for managing, monitoring and reporting social value
- Enhance our Research & Development of methodologies and products
- Engage with consultancy and advisory work with clients to assist in the development of social value strategies and approaches
You will be part of the TOMs, Data and Insights (TDI) team, applying your work in a client-driven setting to deliver and innovate on social value measurement, management, training, and analysis solutions. You will support and contribute to the development of the TOMs Framework by driving the design and implementation of new innovative and intelligent solutions and promoting the delivery of social value by providing intelligent training to internal and external stakeholders on social value and social impact measurement and valuation. You will work with a growing and dynamic team taking on research projects independently and through teamwork.
You are likely to have a strong quantitative, qualitative and analytical background, preferably in Economics, Sustainable Development, or a related discipline. Ideally, you have experience in valuation principles and methodologies and awareness of the social value and social impact measurement or the ability to learn so quickly and a genuine interest in the subject. Above all, you have an analytical mind, you are methodological in your approach and enjoy developing intelligent solutions to complex problems.
Relevant professional experience within social value or a related field is strongly desired (Researcher); candidates without professional experience may be considered (Junior Researcher) if they can demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the subject, the ability to conduct relevant research with minimal supervision and problem-solving skills.
The ideal candidate will be able to independently review existing literature and data around benefit evaluation, design monitoring and data collections processes, produce modelling for social value proxies and produce measurement and monetisation analysis. They will be able to articulate and communicate methodological approaches and technical results to both technical and non-technical audiences.
We are looking for someone with a passion for innovation who enjoys and has experience both with independent research work and client-facing work.
Essential skills and experience:
- Relevant graduate or postgraduate qualifications, preferably in Economics or a related field.
- Knowledge of economic valuation techniques for market and non-market goods (e.g. social cost-benefit analysis, wellbeing valuation social return on investment).
- Experience in managing and supporting relevant research, valuation projects or social impact assessment.
- Experience in qualitative research methods
- A minimum of three years of relevant professional experience in social value, social-economic impact assessment and valuation is desired; exceptional candidates with less experience might be considered for Junior Researcher.
- Data analytical skills (e.g. with Excel, STATA, R or Python)
- Excellent communication, both orally and in writing, and an ability to write both technical and concise and accessible reports.
- Working within cross-sectoral stakeholder groups (public, private, third sector)
- An analytical mind with strong problem-solving skills.
- Flexibility and natural team-working ability, including the ability to integrate rapidly into a dynamic and collaborative team.
If you are interested…
Send your CV plus a covering note explaining why you are interested and why you think you are suitable for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to sex, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, criminal history or disability status. Only applicants with the right to work in the UK can be considered.