Vacancy: Researcher/Senior Researcher – Social Value and Social Impact
Job Description – January 2021
Location: Currently the team are all working from home due to Covid-19. Normally based at Social Value Portal Offices in London or Manchester.
Working Hours: 40 per week
Salary: competitive, dependent upon experience
Reports to: Head of Research
Closing date for submissions: applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Open to: All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to sex, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, criminal history or disability status. Only applicants with the right to work in the UK can be considered
About the Social Value Portal
The Social Value Portal is the UK’s leading solution for embedding the delivery, measurement, and management of social value into procurement processes and organisations. We are a London-based business which works with public and private sector clients across the UK.
Social value is a rapidly developing agenda for addressing societal challenges using an integrated triple bottom line (economic / social / environment) approach. We are at the leading edge of developing social value methodologies and approaches to measuring and reporting social value, and our growing client base reflects how seriously organisations in all sectors are taking this.
Our mission is to provide an evidence-based approach to measuring and delivering social value and there are four essential components to our business,
- The TOMs Framework to measure and monetise social value and the National TOMs Reporting Standard
- The online platform – the Portal – used for managing, monitoring and reporting social value
- Research & development of methodologies and products
- Consultancy and advisory work with clients to assist in the development of social value strategies and approaches
Our rapidly expanding client-base comes from a range of sectors, including central & local government, health, real estate and development, engineering & construction, nuclear and financial services, and the third sector.
We are looking for a researcher or senior researcher with a background in Economics (or a closely related field) and experience with models of value and valuation of non-market goods to support with the development and delivery of existing and new solutions for social value measurement, monetisation and analysis.
You will be part of the Research, Development and Innovation team and will be required to apply your work in a client-driven setting to deliver and innovate on social value measurement, management, training and analysis solutions. You will be directly involved in developing the TOMs Framework both from a methodological perspective and by driving the development of sectoral or geographical Plug-ins. You will be responsible to deliver training internally and externally on social value and social impact measurement and valuation. You will contribute to product development and thought leadership within the sector.
You will have proven knowledge of the social value and social impact measurement and valuation market – including the ‘Principles of Social Value’, social return on investment and social benefit analysis methodologies.
The role requires a strong quantitative and analytical background, preferably in economics or a related discipline, and at least three/five years (researcher/senior researcher) of relevant professional experience in social value or social impact analysis and monetisation within a social return on investment or impact investing context.
The ideal candidate will be able to independently review existing literature and data around benefit evaluation, design monitoring and data collections processes, produce modelling for social value proxies and produce measurement and monetisation analysis. They will be able to articulate and communicate methodological approaches and technical results to both technical and non-technical audiences. They will independently develop or support relationships with partnering research organisations. They will also be able to design new solutions to manage and measure social value to match the specific needs of our clients.
In this role you will work with a growing and dynamic team and will take on research projects independently and through teamwork. We are looking for someone with a passion for innovation who enjoys and has experience both with independent research work and client facing work.
Your working experience to date will reflect the development or application of technical expertise around social value or social impact valuation – for example including SROI reporting, technical ESG investing analysis, social cost benefit analysis of public or private-public ventures’ projects, social impact bond or social outcomes contracts valuation, impact investing analysis including valuation.
You will have familiarity with the main reporting and accreditation frameworks for social value measurement and valuation – including the S.R.O.I. framework from Social Value International.
While specialised experience such as environmental assessment and valuation, social capital analysis, wellbeing measurement etc. is a plus, a degree of cross-thematic technical agility is required.
Your project portfolio will include S.R.O.I. reports or assurance, social value analysis or social impact assessments and valuation models, social cost benefit analysis, business cases, feasibility studies, presentations for workshops and seminars, in addition to drawing conclusions and writing recommendations from this work.
We are continuously looking to develop innovative ways of expanding and improving what the Social Value Portal can do and you will make a significant contribution to this.
Essential skills and experience:
- Relevant graduate or post graduate qualifications, preferably in Economics or a strictly related field;
- Advanced technical knowledge of social value or social impact valuation techniques – including non-market goods valuation and wellbeing valuation – and of the different methodological approaches including the S.R.O.I methodology, social (cost) benefit analysis and wellbeing valuation.
- Direct experience with leading social return on investment or social impact assessment and valuation work. A minimum of three years of relevant professional experience (five for senior researcher) in social value, social return on investment or social impact measurement and valuation. Relevant experience includes being a leading or main contributor to a social value or social impact evaluation, assessment or valuation report.
- Mature to advanced project management and research management skills
- Strong numerical and analytical skills
- Data analytical skills (e.g. experience with STATA, R)
- Ability to build strong client relationships, regardless of levels of seniority
- Experience in building or growing research partnerships
- Excellent communication, both orally and in writing, and an ability to write both technical and concise and accessible reports
- Full competence in latest version of Windows suite, including Excel, PowerPoint & Word
- Flexibility and a natural team-working ability, including the ability to integrate rapidly into a dynamic and collaborative team
Other desirable skills and experience:
- Working within cross-sectoral stakeholder groups (public, private, third sector)
- Experience in qualitative research methods
- Design skills and working with multi-stakeholder engagement and system change approaches
- Working with interventions or investments contributing to the UN SDGs agenda
- Comparable approaches to social impact valuation outside the UK
- Experience facilitating stakeholder engagement workshops
- Social networks analysis
- Working with the charitable and voluntary sector
- Strong aptitude in software and digital media, particularly GIS mapping
- Fluency in one or more languages other than English
If you are interested…
Send your CV plus a covering note explaining why you are interested and why you think you are suitable for the role to email@example.com.
Closing date for submissions: 20th September 2020