Vacancy: Consultant/Senior Consultant
We are looking for someone to come and join a growing team within a growing business. Social value is about delivering economic, social and environmental sustainability for communities and society as a whole and the consultancy team at SVP supports organisations to do more in this space and report it effectively. We work with clients in the private and public sectors and currently have a big focus on real estate, although we work with organisations in a range of industries including professional services, built environment, IT and financial services.
Typical tasks for a Consultant at SVP include:
- preparing materials for strategy workshops and then facilitating the sessions
- writing detailed strategy documents for clients
- supporting developers throughout the planning process
- producing needs-based Social Value Action Plans
- conducting socio-economic assessments
- speaking at conferences or other seminars/workshops
- writing presentations, bids and reports
Some recent examples of services the consultancy team have delivered for clients include: consulting on planning applications for developers such as Legal & General, Argent and First Base and producing Social Value Statements; writing Landsec’s impact report called ‘Our Social Contribution’ following six months’ advisory work; developing WSP’s 3-year Social Value Strategy; and, pioneering an emerging approach to incorporating social value into asset and fund management with Legal & General and UBS.
Your experience to date will have involved working with clients to identify and analyse organisational or project-based challenges and opportunities and then recommend solutions. You will have produced a range of materials to support your work, perhaps including business cases, feasibility studies, presentations for workshops and seminars, evaluations and impact assessments. You will have a rigorous intellectual and analytical approach to your work with the ability to build strong client relationships, regardless of levels of seniority. The ability to communicate effectively and succinctly, both orally and in writing, is crucial. You will have a strong interest in social responsibility and sustainability and be eager to develop innovative ways of expanding and improving what SVP can offer in this space.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- A comprehensive understanding of social value and sustainability
- Minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience working directly with clients
- Enthusiasm for understanding clients’ needs and identifying solutions
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written, with confidence to deliver presentations and workshops but also write comprehensive reports
- Examples of having developed strong client relationships
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Experience of conducting socio-economic analysis
- Experience of the real estate industry including planning and development
- Knowledge of the TOMs framework and/or other social value measurement frameworks
- Understanding of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals
- Ability to us geospatial mapping software such as QGIS
Pay rate: Negotiable, dependent upon experience and the position offered
Hours per week: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Location: Social Value Portal Office, Tintagel House, 92 Albert Embankment, London. Your job will include travel to meet customers around the UK and, very occasionally, some evening work
Reports to: Head of Consultancy
Open to: All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to sex, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, criminal history or disability status. Only applicants with the right to work in the UK can be considered
To apply please send a covering letter of no more than one side of A4 and your CV to email@example.com
About the Social Value Portal
SVP works with clients in the public, private, community and voluntary sectors to identify where they are, or could, deliver social value and then to measure and report it effectively. There are three essential components to our business:
- An online platform – the Portal – used for managing, monitoring and reporting social value;
- Research and development of methodologies and products, including the ongoing; management of the National Social Value Measurement Framework (the National TOMs)
- Consultancy and advisory work with clients to assist in the development of social value strategies and approaches
Social value is a rapidly developing agenda for addressing societal challenges using an integrated triple bottom line (economic / social / environment) approach. We are at the leading edge of developing social value methodologies and approaches to measuring and reporting social value, and our growing client base reflects how seriously organisations in all sectors are taking this.
Finally, along with Social Value UK we run the annual conference. In January 2020, the National Social Value Conference – Time to Act – saw over 700 professionals from across the public, private and third sectors come together in London to share their knowledge on social value in the UK and learn what must be done in the coming years to further promote innovation and deliver more for our communities.