Vacancy: Associate Researcher and Consultant
We are looking for an associate researcher and consultant to work both with the research team on producing and communicating social value modelling, and with the consultancy team – either in a technical supporting capacity, or directly engaging with clients.
In this role you will get the opportunity to contribute to the development and innovation of social, economic and environmental impact valuation methodologies, inform public and private sector policy on social value and sustainability, and work directly in a consultancy capacity with our clients.
We are looking for someone with a strong quantitative background, preferably in Economics or a related discipline, with the capacity to understand and evaluate socio-economic academic research, design economic models and analyse big datasets. You will be able to communicate methodological approaches to both technical and non-technical audiences. You will also be able to design new solutions to manage and measure social value to match the specific needs of our clients.
You will work with a growing and dynamic team and will take on research projects independently. We are looking for someone with a passion for innovation who will enjoy taking on a consultancy role and developing new services and measurement methodologies for our current and future clients across multiple sectors.
About the Social Value Portal
The Social Value Portal is a young London-based Software as a Service (SaaS) business which works with public and private sector clients across the UK. Our mission is to provide an evidence-based approach to measuring and delivering social value. There are three essential components to our business, which are underpinned by the National Social Value Measurement Framework:
- Managing, monitoring and reporting social value using the online Portal;
- Research & development of methodologies and products to support the Portal;
- Consultancy and advisory work with clients to assist in the development of social value strategies and approaches
Social value is a rapidly developing agenda for addressing societal challenges using an integrated triple bottom line (economic / social / environment) approach. We are at the leading edge of developing social value methodologies and approaches to measuring and delivering social value and our clients need conceptual and strategic support and advice, as well as the tools that the Portal offers.
Our rapidly expanding client-base comes from a range of sectors, including central & local government, health, real estate and development, engineering & construction, nuclear and financial services, and the third sector.
We are a social enterprise and, where we can, offer support to charities to understand the impact of their services and how to measure and report on that impact.
We are looking for…
Your working experience to date will probably have involved working in the academia or with clients to identify and evaluate the economic, social or environmental impact of programmes or projects. You will have produced a range of materials to support your work, perhaps including business cases, feasibility studies, presentations for workshops and seminars, evaluations and impact assessments in addition to drawing conclusions and writing recommendations from this work.
We are continuously looking to develop innovative ways of expanding and improving what the Social Value Portal can do and you will make a significant contribution to this.
- Deliver original research and modelling around social value proxies
- Write reports and present results to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Support the consultancy work by designing appropriate data collection, analysis and assessment processes
- Design innovative solutions for social value measurements for our clients
- Relevant Master of Science degree
- Demonstrated proficiency in understanding and communicating different methodologies for impact appraisal, monitoring and evaluation – including cost benefit analysis
- Background in microeconomics and microeconometrics
- Strong numerical and analytical skills
- Ability to build strong client relationships, regardless of levels of seniority
- Ability to generate new business through your consultancy skills
- Excellent communication, both orally and in writing
- Full competence in latest version of Windows suite, including Excel, PowerPoint & Word
- Willingness to be London-based
- Flexibility and a natural team-working ability, including the ability to integrate rapidly into a dynamic and collaborative team at SVP (currently 18 people)
- Experience working as a consultant directly with clients in a relevant industry sector
- Relevant post-graduate qualifications – especially reflecting skills in microeconometrics, policy or programme monitoring and evaluation, environmental economics
- Experience in social networks analysis
- Experience working with the charitable and voluntary sector
- Strong aptitude in software and digital media, particularly:
- Data analytics (STATA, R)
- GIS mapping
If you are interested…
Send your CV plus a covering note explaining why you are interested and why you think you are suitable for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for submissions: 21st October 2018
Reports to: Head of Research and Senior Consultant
Working Hours: 40 per week
Salary: £27,000-£34,000 depending on experience
Location: Social Value Portal offices, London
Please not that we are unable to accept international candidates who require sponsorship for a work VISA at this stage.
As part of the recruitment process, the Social Value Portal Ltd collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. Please refer to our Job Applicant Privacy Notice for information.